Some considerations for people taking Adacel include the following:
- This vaccine is given as an injection into the deltoid muscle of the upper arm (where most immunizations are given). Most people need just one dose of Adacel, except pregnant women, who need a dose during each pregnancy.
- Your healthcare provider should shake the vial well before injecting Adacel.
- Multiple doses of this vaccine are not recommended in most situations. After an individual receives the Adacel vaccine, all future boosters should be given as the Td (tetanus and diphtheria) vaccine.
- In general, the vaccine should be given only if at least five years have passed since the last DTaP or Td vaccine has been given. In some cases, the vaccine can be given sooner.
- If you are unsure about anything related to the dosing of this vaccine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.