Atrovent Nasal Spray
Some general considerations for when and how to take Atrovent nasal spray include the following:
- Atrovent nasal spray is usually taken two to four times daily, depending on several factors.
- The Atrovent nasal spray pump must be primed before the first use by pumping it seven times. Make sure the bottle points upright and away from your face. If you have not used the bottle for 24 hours, it needs repriming with two sprays. If it has been more than seven days, the pump needs repriming with seven sprays.
- Blow your nose before each Atrovent nasal spray dose. Keep your head slightly tilted forward and aim the tip of the bottle toward the back and outer side of the nose. Press your other nostril shut with a finger. Sniff deeply while spraying Atrovent nasal spray into your nose, and then breathe out through your mouth. After spraying, tilt your head backward for a few seconds.
- Do not try to inhale the Atrovent nasal spray or breathe in too vigorously, as Atrovent nasal spray works when in comes in contact with the inside surfaces of the nose (not the throat or lungs).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Atrovent nasal spray will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of Atrovent nasal spray that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The cause of your runny nose
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Atrovent nasal spray dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Atrovent Nasal Spray Dosage for more information.)