It is unlikely for an overdose to occur with a skin product such as Balmex. Symptoms that have been reported with an overdose of the individual components of this medication include nausea, vomiting, pneumonia, and dark urine. An overdose is more likely to be dangerous if the product is ingested (rather than applied to the skin).
Can You Use Too Much Balmex?
Balmex® is a brand of non-prescription diaper rash products. Balmex overdose symptoms are probably unlikely if the product is applied to the skin (as it is intended to be used). However, if it is accidentally taken by mouth, problems may occur.
If you suspect that your child (or anyone else) may have overdosed on Balmex, seek immediate medical attention and/or contact a poison control center for further instructions.
Symptoms of a Balmex Overdose
Significant or serious overdose symptoms are unlikely to occur when Balmex is applied to the skin. Problems are much more likely if Balmex is taken by mouth. For this reason, be sure to keep Balmex out of the reach of children.
Based on reported symptoms in people who overdosed on the individual components of Balmex, possible overdose symptoms include (but are not limited to):
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Yellow eyes and skin
- Dark urine
- Nausea and vomiting.
It is not possible to predict all of the possible Balmex overdose symptoms, since these products contain a number of natural or herbal ingredients (for which there is little or no overdose information available).
As stated previously, it is important that Balmex be stored safely out of the reach of children. This may be a little tricky, however, since Balmex is usually kept in the diaper changing area.