Clonidine ER Dosage
A healthcare provider will take several factors into consideration when determining the dosage of clonidine ER. Some of these factors include other medications your child is taking and any other medical conditions he or she has. The usual starting dose of this medication is 0.1 mg taken once daily at bedtime. This amount can gradually be increased if necessary.
The dosage of clonidine ER (Kapvay™) your child's healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How your child responds to clonidine ER
- Other medications your child is taking
- Other medical conditions your child may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your child's dose unless the healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual starting dose of clonidine ER is 0.1 mg once daily at bedtime. Your child's healthcare provider may gradually increase the dose (only if necessary) as follows:
- First week -- clonidine ER 0.1 mg at bedtime
- Second week -- clonidine ER 0.1 mg in the morning and 0.1 mg at bedtime
- Third week -- clonidine ER 0.1 mg in the morning and 0.2 mg at bedtime
- Fourth week -- clonidine ER 0.2 mg in the morning and 0.2 mg at bedtime.
When stopping clonidine ER, it is usually recommended to gradually taper the dose down by 0.1 mg every three to seven days. Stopping clonidine ER abruptly might cause dangerously high blood pressure (hypertension), a rapid heart rate (tachycardia), and other symptoms.