There is no simple answer as to how to best treat colic. No one single method works for all babies. In fact, healthcare providers will often recommend that a family try one or several different colic remedies in order to deal with a colicky baby. This includes calming, dietary, and coping strategies.
The goals with these recommendations are to:
- Decrease the infant's crying
- Help the family cope
- Minimize any long-term child-parent impact.
Although it may feel that nothing can soothe your baby, some remedies for colic that may help include:
- Bring your baby into a calm and quiet room to be held
- Limit outside noises and movement
- If your baby is hypersensitive to noise, place him or her in a car seat near a clothes drier, dishwasher, or white noise machine.
Your healthcare provider may also recommend changes in diet when treating a colicky baby. Studies have shown that certain dietary changes may help improve colic symptoms in some babies.
(Click Colic Treatment for more information on colic remedies, including suggestions on how to comfort your crying baby, how to cope with feeling helpless, and a list of possible dietary changes that may help.)