Daptacel Side Effects
Injection site skin reactions, lethargy, and vomiting are some of the most common side effects that have been reported with Daptacel. In most cases, reactions to the vaccine are mild and do not require medical attention. Some of the rare but serious side effects that should be reported to a healthcare provider immediately include high fever, weakness, and unusual fussiness.
An Introduction to Daptacel Side Effects
As with all vaccines, side effects are possible with Daptacel® (DTaP). However, not everyone who receives the vaccine will have problems. In fact, most children tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Daptacel. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Daptacel side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Daptacel
Daptacel has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the most common side effects included:
- Fussiness or irritability -- in up to 75.8 percent of children
- Tenderness at the injection site -- up to 61.5 percent
- Inconsolable crying -- up to 58.5 percent
- Lethargy -- up to 51.1 percent
- Redness at the injection site -- up to 35.8 percent
- Swelling at the injection site -- up to 23.9 percent
- Fever -- up to 23.6 percent
- Loss of appetite -- up to 11.2 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 6.9 percent.
Care must be taken when interpreting this data, since Daptacel was often given along with other vaccines. For instance, it is not accurate to say that Daptacel caused fussiness or irritability in 75.8 percent of children, since the vaccine was given along with other childhood vaccines at the same time. The other vaccines likely contributed somewhat to the side effects reported.