Desonide Foam Dosage
When treating atopic dermatitis with desonide foam, the standard dosing guidelines are to apply a thin layer of the foam onto the affected area of the skin twice a day. Do not cover the area with a bandage or any other kind of dressing without your healthcare provider's approval. Also, do not use this medicine for more than four weeks at a time.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of Desonide FoamThere is only one standard dose for desonide foam (Verdeso®), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Desonide Foam Dosing Guidelines for Atopic DermatitisThe standard starting dose of desonide foam for treating atopic dermatitis in people age three months and older is a small amount applied on the affected areas twice daily. Gently rub the foam into the skin, being careful not to damage the irritated skin. Wash your hands after applying the foam, unless you are treating your hands.
In general, you should stop using desonide foam once the atopic dermatitis is under control. If no improvement is seen within four weeks, your healthcare provider may need to reconsider your diagnosis. Do not use this medicine for more than four weeks at a time. Although it is quite effective, it cannot be used on a long-term basis.
General Information on Using Desonide FoamSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with desonide foam include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) of the skin twice a day.
- Apply each dose of desonide foam sparingly and gently rub it into the skin. More is not better; only a thin film is necessary.
- Do not cover the medication with a dressing or bandage, unless your healthcare provider specifically recommends that you do so.
- Make sure to turn the canister upside down when dispensing the foam. Keeping it upright will result in loss of the propellant, perhaps causing the foam to "run out" more quickly.
- If applying it to your face, first dispense the foam into your hands, then apply and rub it into the skin. For other areas of the body, you may dispense the foam directly onto the affected area if desired.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with desonide foam, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.