When treating the symptoms of advanced prostate cancer with Lupron, the standard dosage is 1 mg once daily. For treating central precocious puberty in children, the amount will depend on the child's weight. Some of the other factors that may affect dosing guidelines include the reason Lupron is being used and the person's response to the drug.
An Introduction to Dosing With LupronThe Lupron® (leuprolide acetate) dose your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The reason you are using it
- Your weight (in children)
- How you respond to the medication.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Lupron Dosage for Advanced Prostate CancerThe standard dose of Lupron used for relieving symptoms of advanced prostate cancer is 1 mg once daily. The medication is given via subcutaneous injection (an injection into the layer of tissue just below the skin).
Lupron Dose for Central Precocious PubertyThe standard dosage of Lupron for central precocious puberty (early puberty in children) is 50 mcg per kg of body weight once a day (about 22.7 mcg per pound once a day). The amount may be increased by 10 mcg per kg body weight (about 4.5 mcg per pound) daily every one to two months until a dosage is found that adequately stops puberty.
Once an adequate dose is found, your child may still require periodic dosage adjustments as he or she grows. Your child's healthcare provider will monitor his or her progress. It is recommended that the Lupron injections be stopped before age 11 in girls and age 12 in boys, to allow for normal puberty to occur.
General Information on Using LupronSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Lupron include the following:
- This medication is given as an injection just under the skin (as a subcutaneous injection) once a day.
- The injection is given in the fatty layer just under the skin. To protect your skin from too much irritation, you should choose a different injection site each day.
- Make sure your healthcare provider shows you exactly how to inject this medicine. Ask questions if you are unsure. Read the injection instructions that came with your medicine before using it.
- Thoroughly check the vial before each use, and do not use the medicine if you notice any particles or if the liquid is discolored.
- There will be some liquid remaining in the vial after you have finished all of your doses. This is normal and not a cause for concern. Do not try to get all of the liquid out of the vial. Just use the recommended amount for each dosage.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not stop using this medicine, as it will cause your symptoms to return.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Lupron, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.