Although there have not been any reports of a Lupron (leuprolide) overdose, it is expected that using too much of this drug might cause heart rhythm problems, low blood pressure, and shortness of breath. The specific effects will depend on how much was used and whether it was combined with other drugs. Treating this type of overdose would likely involve supportive care.
Can You Use Too Much Lupron?Lupron® (leuprolide acetate) is a prescription medicine injected subcutaneously (beneath the skin) once a day. It is used to treat advanced prostate cancer. It is also used in children who have a condition known as central precocious puberty (puberty before the age of 8 in girls and 9 in boys).
As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Lupron. The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Lupron dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications.
Symptoms of an OverdoseIt is not entirely clear what to expect from a Lupron overdose, as there have been no reports of an overdose with this medication. In clinical studies, doses up to 20 times the usual Lupron dose did not cause any symptoms of overdose. However, based on animal studies and possible side effects of this drug, overdose symptoms may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Irritation at the injection site
- Heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension).
Treating a Lupron OverdoseTreatment for an overdose of Lupron will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of an overdose. Supportive care for this type of overdose may include:
- Close monitoring of the heart, blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature
- Intravenous (IV) fluids
- Treatment for low blood pressure or heart arrhythmias, if they occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have used too much Lupron.