Kids Home > How to Deal With Colic
Many people may wonder how to deal with colic. Unfortunately, there is no simple answer; no one single treatment works for all babies. In fact, healthcare providers will often recommend that a family try one or several different strategies in order to deal with a colicky baby. This includes calming, dietary, and coping strategies.
The goals with these recommendations are to:
- Decrease the infant's crying
- Help the family cope
- Minimize any long-term child-parent impact.
Although it may feel that nothing can soothe your baby, some comforting ideas to try for colic relief include:
- Bring your baby into a calm and quiet room to be held
- Limit outside noises and movement
- If your baby is hypersensitive to noise, place him or her in a car seat near a clothes drier, dishwasher, or white noise machine.
Your healthcare provider may also recommend changes in diet. Studies have shown that certain dietary changes may help deal with colic symptoms in some babies.
(Click Colic Treatment for a closer look at these and other suggestions, including tips for how to comfort your baby when everything else seems to fail and dietary changes that may help.)