Kids Home > Desitin
When and How to Use It
- Desitin ointments are applied liberally as often as necessary, both to treat and to prevent diaper rash.
- Liberally apply the ointment with your fingertips (imagine frosting a cake). Do not try to rub it in, as this action is not helpful and can be irritating.
- You may want to buy the largest size available, to make sure you do not try to "scrimp" on the ointment. Remember that it works by forming a barrier, and a thick layer is necessary to be effective.
- You do not have to completely remove the previous application of Desitin when changing a diaper. Simply make sure the area is thoroughly (but gently) cleaned. Make sure to let the skin dry before applying Desitin.
- Stop using Desitin and consult your child's healthcare provider if the rash does not improve within seven days (or if it goes away but returns quickly).