When using pimecrolimus, dosing instructions are the same for everyone, regardless of your age. The standard dose is a thin layer of the cream applied to the affected areas twice a day. Wash your hands before and after applying the medicine, and do not cover the area with a bandage or other dressing.
There is only one standard dose of pimecrolimus (Elidel®), regardless of your age. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended dosage of pimecrolimus for treating symptoms of atopic dermatitis (eczema) is usually a thin layer of cream applied to the affected area(s) of the skin twice daily. The cream should only be applied to areas of the skin that have eczema. Treatment is usually stopped when the eczema symptoms (such as redness, itching, and rash) go away.
Contact your healthcare provider if your symptoms have not resolved within six weeks or if they get worse after you start using pimecrolimus. You might have a condition other than eczema.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with pimecrolimus include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a cream that is applied to the affected area of the skin twice a day.
- Apply only a thin layer to dry skin, and only on areas of your skin that have eczema.
- Make sure to wash your hands before applying a pimecrolimus dose and again afterward, unless you are treating your hands.
- Do not cover the affected area of skin with bandages or other dressings. Doing so may cause you to absorb too much medicine, increasing your risk for side effects. However, you can cover the area with clothing.
- Do not bathe, shower, or swim immediately after applying this medicine, as this may wash it off the skin before it has a chance to work. Allow pimecrolimus to absorb into your skin first.
- Avoid tanning beds and prolonged sun exposure while using the medicine. If you do go out in the sun, cover the affected area with loose-fitting clothing.
- If you are using a moisturizer with this medicine, apply the moisturizer after applying pimecrolimus, and after it has absorbed into your skin. Your healthcare provider can help you choose the best moisturizer for your skin type.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not use pimecrolimus for extended periods or more often than directed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or pimecrolimus dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.