Pimecrolimus Side Effects
Some of the most commonly observed side effects of pimecrolimus include common cold symptoms, headaches, and burning at the application site. Fortunately, most reactions to this skin cream are mild and generally easy to treat. However, make sure to contact your healthcare provider if you develop sores that do not heal, signs of an infection, or other potentially serious problems while using pimecrolimus.
Just like any medicine, pimecrolimus (Elidel®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible pimecrolimus side effects. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Some side effects of pimecrolimus are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider immediately. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling, especially of the mouth, lips, or throat
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Burning or irritation at the application site that is severe or lasts for longer than a week
- Signs of infection, such as:
- Aches and pains
- Sore throat
- Ear pain or ear discharge, which could be signs of an ear infection
- Sores or wounds that look infected or do not heal
- Swollen or enlarged glands (lymph nodes) in the neck, armpits, or groin.