An Introduction to Side Effects of Pimecrolimus
Just like any medicine, pimecrolimus
) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible pimecrolimus side effects. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Pimecrolimus Side Effects
Some side effects of pimecrolimus are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider immediately. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling, especially of the mouth, lips, or throat
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Burning or irritation at the application site that is severe or lasts for longer than a week
- Signs of infection, such as:
- Ear pain or ear discharge, which could be signs of an ear infection
- Sores or wounds that look infected or do not heal
- Swollen or enlarged glands (lymph nodes) in the neck, armpits, or groin.