Although it is not known if it is possible to overdose on Quixin, taking too much of this medication might be expected to cause eye burning and discomfort. However, the specific effects will vary, based on how much was taken and whether it was used in the eyes or taken by mouth. Treatment will likely involve supportive care, such as flushing the eyes with water.
Can You Use Too Much Quixin?Quixin® (levofloxacin ophthalmic solution) is a prescription eye drop used to treat eye infections, including bacterial conjunctivitis (more commonly called "pink eye"). This medication belongs to a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones, or "quinolones" for short.
As with most medications, it is probably possible to use too much Quixin. Although the specific effects of an overdose are not fully known, they would likely vary depending on a number of factors, including the Quixin dosage and how it was taken (used in the eye or taken by mouth).
What Are the Effects of a Quixin Overdose?It is not known if it is possible to overdose on Quixin or what the specific effects might be, as there have been no reported cases of a Quixin overdose. However, it is possible that using too much Quixin might cause eye irritation, including burning and discomfort.
In animal studies, overdoses with high doses of levofloxacin (the active ingredient in Quixin) given intravenously to mice caused the following problems:
- Coordination problems
- Droopy eyelids
- Decreased body movements
- Shortness of breath
- Shakiness (tremors)
Extremely high doses of intravenous levofloxacin caused death in mice. However, such problems are unlikely, as the amount of levofloxacin in an entire bottle of Quixin is quite small.