Sklice is a treatment used to kill head lice. Because it also kills the eggs, it is only necessary to use this medication one time. The lotion is applied thoroughly on dry hair, left on for 10 minutes, and then rinsed with water only. Side effects may include eye problems, such as redness, irritation, or conjunctivitis ("pink eye").
What Is Sklice?Sklice® (ivermectin lotion) is a prescription medication approved for treating head lice. It can be used to treat children as young as six months old. This product can be effective in just one treatment without the labor-intensive combing to remove eggs (called "nit picking").
Who Makes This Medication?Sklice is made by DPT Laboratories LTD for Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
How Does Sklice Work?The active ingredient (ivermectin) in this lotion works by paralyzing the lice. The inactive ingredients then clog up the breathing holes, causing the lice to suffocate. Sklice also kills the eggs (the nits), which is why it is often effective with just one treatment.
When and How to Apply ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Sklice include the following:
- Sklice comes as a lotion and is usually applied just once. Apply it when the hair is dry.
- Cover the entire scalp and hair with the lotion. Start with the scalp first, then work your way down to the ends of the hair.
- It is essential to take your time and make sure that the hair and scalp are thoroughly coated. Rushing this process decreases the chances of fully getting rid of the lice. Children will need an adult to apply the lotion.
- Make sure to keep the lotion out of the eyes. If eye exposure occurs, wash the eyes gently with water.
- Wash your hands after applying Sklice.
- Leave the lotion on for 10 minutes, starting the timer after you are completely finished applying the product.
- After 10 minutes, rinse the hair thoroughly with water only.
- You may use a lice comb to remove the dead lice and eggs, although this is not necessary with this product.
- A tube of Sklice is intended for one use only, so make sure to discard any remaining product; do not save it for later.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Sklice will not work if you do not use enough or are not careful in applying the lotion.