Home Remedy for Strep Throat
Although antibiotic medications are important for treating strep throat, home remedies may also be helpful. Some of the things you can do at home to help relieve symptoms of this throat infection include throat lozenges, Tylenol, and a salt-water gargle. However, research has not been done to see how effective these home therapies are for treating strep.
Strep Throat Home Remedies
Everyone has had a sore throat. And many of us have favorite ways of treating them. This article will discuss points to consider when a sore throat hits, including home treatment options for dealing with symptoms.
The first question that people often ask when they get a sore throat is, "Is this strep throat?" Strep throat is the name for a throat infection caused by group A streptococcus bacteria (Streptococcus pyogenes, GAS). It is responsible for up to 30 percent of throat infections in children and adolescents, and up to 10 percent of adult throat infections. It is the most common bacterial cause of throat infections (viruses, however, are the most common cause of a sore throat).
To help narrow down whether a sore throat is strep, begin with your symptoms (see Strep Throat Symptoms). A person with strep throat usually has at least two out of four of these signs or symptoms:
- A red and painful throat that begins suddenly
- A fever above 101ºF (38.3ºC)
- Red and enlarged tonsils -- there may also be white patches of pus on the tonsils or in the throat
- Tender or swollen lymph glands in the neck.
Based on your symptoms, if you think you might have strep throat, go see your healthcare provider. If you are diagnosed with strep throat, antibiotic treatment is important. The reason being:
- Untreated strep throat can result in serious complications (see Strep Throat Complications)
- It is a contagious illness (see Is Strep Throat Contagious?).