Because Synagis (palivizumab) is administered by a healthcare provider, an overdose is unlikely to occur. However, if the dosage is miscalculated, it is possible that a child could receive too much Synagis. If this happens, it could cause problems like vomiting, diarrhea, or wheezing. Treatment for a Synagis overdose would likely involve close monitoring and treating any symptoms that occur.
Can You Use Too Much Synagis?Synagis® (palivizumab) is a prescription medication approved to prevent respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infections in certain infants and children. It is given as a monthly injection into a muscle (an intramuscular, or IM, injection).
This medicine is usually given by a trained healthcare provider. Therefore, a Synagis overdose is unlikely to occur. However, an overdose could happen if the dosage is miscalculated. The symptoms of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Synagis dosage and whether it was given with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of an OverdoseThere have not been any reports of an overdose with Synagis, so it is unknown what to expect if too much is given. In animal studies, no problems were observed when rabbits were given Synagis doses of 50 mg per kg (more than three times the normal recommended amount).
It is reasonable to expect an overdose to cause symptoms similar to the usual Synagis side effects. Some of these side effects may include:
- Injection site reactions, such as mild pain, redness, or swelling
- Runny or stuffy nose
Treatment for a Synagis OverdoseTreatment for an overdose with Synagis will likely involve close monitoring, as well as supportive treatment. This consists of treating any symptoms and problems that occur as a result of an overdose.
It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have received too much of this medication.