Tessalon Warnings and Precautions
Tessalon must be swallowed whole. Serious problems (such as choking) can occur if the medication is chewed or sucked. Other warnings and precautions with Tessalon apply to people who are allergic to PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. To ensure your safety, review the drug's warnings with your healthcare provider before beginning treatment.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Prior to taking Tessalon® (benzonatate), tell your healthcare provider if you:
- Have any allergies, including to food, dyes, or preservatives
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medications you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Precautions and Warnings With TessalonSome warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking this drug include the following:
- It is absolutely crucial that Tessalon be swallowed whole. Do not suck or chew this medication, as this could lead to serious problems, such as choking, breathing difficulties, or heart and blood vessel problems (such as cardiac shock).
- Be very careful to keep this product in a safe place, inaccessible to children. Even one or two capsules can be lethal to young children (see Tessalon Overdose for more information).
- Rare cases of bizarre behavior (such as confusion or visual hallucinations) have been reported with Tessalon.
- Since Tessalon is chemically related to para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), people who are allergic to PABA may also have allergic reactions to Tessalon.
- Tessalon is a pregnancy Category C medication, which means that it may not be safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are currently unknown. Check with your healthcare provider before taking this medication when pregnant (see Benzonatate and Pregnancy).
- It is unknown if this medicine passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding a child or plan to start, check with your healthcare provider before taking Tessalon (see Benzonatate and Breastfeeding for more information).