Your dosage of Ulesfia will depend on the length of your hair. People with long hair will need to use more of the medication than those who have short hair. However, anyone using this medication must undergo two applications, with seven days between treatments. This is because Ulesfia only kills adult lice -- the second application kills the lice that hatched from the eggs the previous week.
The dose of Ulesfia® (benzyl alcohol lotion) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on the length of your hair. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Regardless of hair length or the severity of the head lice, all individuals should be treated with two separate applications of Ulesfia, given seven days apart. It is very important to use two applications, as this medication does not kill the eggs (a second treatment is necessary to get rid of the lice that hatched from the remaining eggs).
The standard recommended dosage amount is as follows:
- Very short hair (up to 2 inches long) -- up to ¾ of a bottle
- Short hair (2 to 4 inches long) -- up to 1 bottle
- Medium hair (4 to 8 inches long) -- up to 1½ bottles
- Medium hair (8 to 16 inches long) -- up to 3 bottles
- Long hair (16 to 22 inches long) -- up to 4 bottles
- Very long hair (22 inches or longer) -- up to 6 bottles.
It is important to machine-wash clothing and bedding (with hot water and then dried on a high setting), to help prevent the lice from spreading or returning.