Your dosage of Ulesfia will depend on the length of your hair. People with long hair will need to use more of the medication than those who have short hair. However, anyone using this medication must undergo two applications, with seven days between treatments. This is because Ulesfia only kills adult lice -- the second application kills the lice that hatched from the eggs the previous week.
An Introduction to Dosing With UlesfiaThe dose of Ulesfia® (benzyl alcohol lotion) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on the length of your hair. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Ulesfia Dosage for Head LiceRegardless of hair length or the severity of the head lice, all individuals should be treated with two separate applications of Ulesfia, given seven days apart. It is very important to use two applications, as this medication does not kill the eggs (a second treatment is necessary to get rid of the lice that hatched from the remaining eggs).
The standard recommended dosage amount is as follows:
- Very short hair (up to 2 inches long) -- up to ¾ of a bottle
- Short hair (2 to 4 inches long) -- up to 1 bottle
- Medium hair (4 to 8 inches long) -- up to 1½ bottles
- Medium hair (8 to 16 inches long) -- up to 3 bottles
- Long hair (16 to 22 inches long) -- up to 4 bottles
- Very long hair (22 inches or longer) -- up to 6 bottles.
It is important to machine-wash clothing and bedding (with hot water and then dried on a high setting), to help prevent the lice from spreading or returning.
General Information on Using UlesfiaSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Ulesfia include the following:
- Ulesfia is usually applied two times, with seven days in between applications.
- Your healthcare provider will tell you exactly how much Ulesfia to apply; people with long hair need to use more than people with short hair.
- Apply the lotion to dry hair. The hair and scalp should be saturated with the product. Be especially careful to treat the back of the neck and behind the ears.
- Leave the lotion on for 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. You may shampoo the hair immediately after treatment.
- Avoid contact with the eyes and face. This is best done by covering the face with a towel throughout the entire process.
- You may use a lice comb to remove the dead lice.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Ulesfia will not work if you do not use enough or if you do not use two treatments.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Ulesfia dosing, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.