Although it is not known what exactly to expect if you overdose on Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion), the specific effects likely will depend on how much was taken and whether it was applied to the skin or taken by mouth. Treatment options may include pumping the stomach, administering certain medication, and providing supportive care.
Can You Use Too Much Ulesfia?Ulesfia® (benzyl alcohol lotion) is a prescription medication approved to treat head lice. Like most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Ulesfia.
The specific effects of an Ulesfia overdose are largely unknown but would likely vary depending on a number of factors, including the Ulesfia dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth).
What Are the Effects of an Ulesfia Overdose?It is reasonable to expect that no serious problems would occur if a person applies too much Ulesfia, as long as the product was applied and removed as directed. However, if an overdose is taken by mouth, various problems could theoretically occur, such as:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Drowsiness or passing out
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
Treatment OptionsThe treatment for an Ulesfia overdose will vary, depending on how the medication was used or taken. If taken by mouth, a healthcare provider might "pump the stomach" or administer activated charcoal to absorb the medication in the digestive tract.
If the overdose was applied to the hair, a thorough rinsing is probably all that is necessary, especially if no problems or symptoms occurred.
In any case, any effects of the overdose will also be treated. For instance, if an overdose caused seizures, medications should be administered to help stop the seizures.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Ulesfia.