If your child consumes any miconazole/zinc oxide/white petrolatum (also known as Vusion), overdose symptoms may occur, including nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, and pneumonia. If you suspect that your child may have eaten the ointment, seek immediate medical attention immediately. for a Vusion overdose may include "pumping the stomach," certain medicines, or supportive care.
Vusion Overdose: An Overview
Vusion® (miconazole/zinc oxide/white petrolatum) is a prescription diaper rash ointment. Symptoms of a Vusion overdose are unlikely if the drug is applied to the skin (as it is intended to be used). However, if it is accidentally taken by mouth, problems may occur.
If you suspect that your child may have eaten some of the ointment, contact your child's healthcare provider or a poison control center for further instructions.
Symptoms of a Vusion Overdose
Little is known about what may occur as the result of a Vusion overdose. An overdose is unlikely to occur when the medication is applied to the skin, although applying it over very large areas of the skin theoretically could increase the amount of Vusion absorbed into the body. An overdose is more likely if Vusion is taken by mouth. For this reason, be sure to keep Vusion ointment out of the reach of children. Based on reported symptoms in people who overdosed on the individual components of Vusion by mouth, the following overdose symptoms are possible:
- Chills and a fever
- Yellow eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Mouth and throat irritation.
Treatment for a Vusion Overdose
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the Vusion overdose.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that your child may have overdosed on Vusion.