Zinc Oxide Overdose
Although it is not likely that someone would overdose on zinc oxide creams and ointments, it may be possible to take too much zinc oxide when it is taken by mouth. Possible symptoms of an overdose may include dark urine, bleeding, and vomiting. Treatment for an overdose will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Overdose on Zinc Oxide?Zinc oxide is unlikely to cause overdose symptoms when applied to the skin. However, it is possible to overdose on zinc oxide when it is taken by mouth. The effects of a zinc oxide overdose will likely vary, depending on several factors, such as the zinc oxide dosage and whether it was taken with any other drugs, supplements, or substances.
If you happen to overdose on zinc oxide, seek immediate medical attention.
What Are the Symptoms?Possible symptoms of a zinc oxide overdose include:
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Dark urine
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Nausea and vomiting.
A zinc oxide overdose can occur by taking a single, massive overdose, or by taking too much over a long period of time. Zinc oxide creams and ointments can cause overdose symptoms if taken by mouth (as might occur with children or pets), but are not likely to cause problems when applied to the skin.
Treatment for an Overdose of Zinc OxideThere is no specific antidote for a zinc oxide overdose. Therefore, treatment will typically involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on zinc oxide.